Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know, and holds us responsible to act. Proverbs 24:12

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Birthmom...


As Hannah's first birthday is quickly approaching, I have been thinking a lot about her birth mother, whom we have not met. Up until now, I can honestly say that I have not thought of her a great deal. Of course I have prayed for her and I have thought about her when Hannah makes a funny little face and I wonder if she got that from her birth mom, but I have not thought of her often in the last 8 months since we have had her home with us. I know that may sound selfish and I sure don't intend for it to be. I don't know if it's just because we are so busy with day to day things or if it is because I know Hannah was meant to be ours at the moment of conception...that God's plan all along was for us to have her in our family. Maybe it's both or many reasons, but now I am thinking of her a lot since Hannah is turning 1 on Saturday. I know her birth mom will be thinking of her at that time and probably wondering where she is and if she is ok. I can't imagine what she must go through when she thinks about those big brown eyes that I'm sure looked into hers as she held her the first few weeks of her life. I wish I could tell her that Hannah is loved beyond words and is so happy and full of life. I wish I could hug her and tell her thank you for giving me such a precious gift. I wish I could tell her that I love the name she gave her...Sitota, which means gift...and that we kept it since she named her. Hannah Rose Sitota Mullins. I will be praying for Hannah's birthmom often as Saturday approaches. Please pray for her along with me...and for all the precious women who have to give up their children. So many people come up to me and tell me how blessed Hannah is to have us as her family but that's not the way it goes. WE are blessed beyond measure to have Hannah in our family. We are the ones being blessed and I will be eternally grateful to her birthmom.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Similarly - my prayer, even at the start of this adoption, is for my Olivia's mother to have someone introduce her to the love of Christ. In many areas of Ethiopia, only 10% of the pop. are Christians. I pray my child's mother will experience salvation so that we, the three of us - mothers and daughter, will be reunited in Heaven one day.

Gina said...

Love your post. I've been thinking a lot about our Eli's birthmom too, as his first birthday approaches. He's such a huge gift God gave us through her!