Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know, and holds us responsible to act. Proverbs 24:12

Friday, December 19, 2008

Some News....Maybe...

Okay….some news….maybe...
First let me start by saying that a few weeks ago, we met other couples with Ethiopian baby boys and it got me to thinking. I told Eddie that after we adopt Hannah…and years later, God-willing, maybe we could adopt a boy. We found out early this week that they are having delays with girls…hardly any girls coming thru orphanages right now. In Ethiopia, if a parent has to decide what child to keep, they will keep the girls, unlike China. The girls in Ethiopia will marry but take care of their own family in later years. Anyway, from what we can figure, the delays could push us to not getting a referral until late spring/early summer. Eddie emailed me yesterday morning and told me that we need to prepare for that. So I emailed him back and totally out of the blue asked him if he has EVER thought of requesting “either gender” instead of a girl. He emailed me back within seconds and said that he had planned on talking with me about it that evening. We had NEVER discussed that possibility with each other at all. The kicker is that we have paperwork (updates) on our counter that needs to be mailed off and could have been mailed off last week but for some reason or the other it hasn’t been…we've just been busy. Anyway, if we’re going to do this, the change of request would have to be in that paperwork. So…we have decided to TOTALLY leave this in God’s hands. We are requesting either gender and seeing what God wants for us. I feel like I have been selfish in saying all along that I want a girl…and I’m just seeing that now. So…that is our news. Chances are, we will get a boy referral soon with an “either gender” request. The boy line does move more quickly.
I do believe that someday we will get Hannah…and maybe an older Hannah, because there are so many older children who do not get to be adopted. Please keep us in your prayers! You would think I’d feel a sadness since we’ve been talking about a girl since 2005 (actually long before that but that's just when we started with the China program) but Eddie and I both have a peace about this. We will see!

1 comment:

pstew49 said...

Sweet Julie as we spoke last night....I sense in my spirit that you and Eddie are surrendering more and more to Him. Sometimes, I believe...as I know I have prayed toward my will and desires, rather than surrendering everything totally to Him. Sometimes God allows us to have our own way....as we battle our strong wills, however He also gently closes doors...as He did in China and re-routes our path in other directions. You and Eddie have had such peace about Ethiopia and He has opened doors that I believe, confirm that.

God knows the desires of our hearts. Julie, you will have a Hannah one day, I believe. It may be a granddaughter, perhaps...or a little Hannah that comes into your life through a different path. The important thing is...to be completed surrendered to Him and His will for you for this time in your lives.

What a gift we await....and what a gift you, Julie and Eddie, as parents will be to this child. Your Daddy and I have watched you and Eddie grow through this difficult process and we have seen God's Hand as He has gently directed you and Eddie.

We continue to pray for you each and every day....and have been praying for this child all along. Remember, it is In His Time.....and His timing is perfect!

Love....Mom