Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know, and holds us responsible to act. Proverbs 24:12

Friday, June 4, 2010

Friday...Africa Trip






Friday morning we got up, ate breakfast and packed. I was very sad to be leaving although I really wanted to see my parents and sister and couldn't wait for them to meet Hannah. Our plane didn't leave until late Friday night so we had time to kill during the day. Robel took all of us to the Coffee Factory. I thought that would be a very boring part of the trip but it ended up being very interesting. He also took us to a sports store and the boys got Ethiopian soccer jerseys, which they love! After that we headed back to the Guest House to finish packing. And this is when our wonderful trip took a very negative turn. I didn't even post about this last year because our trip had been so great and I didn't want anything to be negative about it. While we were packing the last few things, my oldest son, Joey said he wasn't feeling well. In just a matter of minutes, he started throwing up very violently and could not stop. We were supposed to head to the airport in one hour and he was laying on the bathroom floor so sick. He was begging me to get another flight but I was so afraid to do this. I was scared that if he got dehydrated or worse we would be at an Ethiopian hospital, which is very different than hospitals in the U.S. I thought if we could at least get him on the plane, we could get to Chicago and get help there before coming home to Oklahoma. I had never seen Joey this sick. I will leave out the gross stuff but long story short, he had to carry a bag with him on the bus and at the airport. And the airport was horrible this time...long lines and it took FOREVER to get on the plane. My mother in law was also feeling bad and I wasn't sure if she was going to pass out or not. At one point, we were told we couldn't take any water thru the gate and Joey needed it desperately. Eddie nearly lost it. Thank goodness he didn't.
We finally got on the plane after several hours and we found out that Eddie and Andrew were on the other side of the plane and Andrew wasn't feeling well. I was devastated and didn't know how I was going to take care of Joey and Hannah all by myself. So I sat there on the runway and began to cry uncontrollably. I'm sure the people around me were wondering what was going on but I couldn't help it. And I could feel a panic attack coming quickly. I was sitting on a plane in Africa...it was about 10:00 at night...separated from Eddie and Andrew and my mother in law...and I had a baby and a sick boy to comfort. Also at that time my mind started to think of all the countries we were going to be flying over...not so friendly ones...and fear took over my body.
I had been praying all day for us to have a safe trip and for Joey to feel better but I started praying as hard as I could at that moment the plane was taking off. And as I desperately prayed, we were in the air. I told God how scared I was and how I didn't think I could handle this situation. I told God that I am not the type of person who needs to see signs from Him, but that at this time I needed a sign from Him that everything was going to be ok. And I needed it FAST! As soon as I said those words to Him, the plane turned in the air and then was straight again. I looked out my window and couldn't believe my eyes. There was a FULL MOON right outside my window and it looked as though I could touch it if I wanted to. I had never in my life seen a moon like this one and it was the most beautiful sight. It was so large that I couldn't see anything else. I could not stop staring at it and God reminded me that He created that moon...and that He created me and that He is SO powerful and there is nothing that He can't do. He told me right then that He would be taking care of us. The moon was the sign that I needed to see and I will never forget that moment the rest of my life. There was absolutely no doubt in my mind that we were going to be safe and that everything was going to be ok. I looked at my sweet Joey, who was all of a sudden feeling MUCH better. He said he didn't feel sick anymore and that he was going to sleep. My precious Hannah fell asleep and I was able to put her in the bassinet that was in front of my chair. Eddie came by to check on us and told me that Andrew was fine and about to go to sleep. All was well in my world and I knew that we were totally resting in God's hands. And I drifted off to sleep.
I will post about our homecoming in the next few days and I will post more pics of Ethiopia.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

wow. just wow. We are still on the fence with trying to take our little ones with us for the first trip. Once in a lifetime opportunity just doesn't seem to cover it. Thanks for sharing! I'm just putting faith in God that if the kids are meant to go - the money will be there come flight time. Otherwise, He's sparing them some major stomach troubles I assume!