Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know, and holds us responsible to act. Proverbs 24:12

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

REFERRAL-ANNIVERSARY!!!

One year ago today I stayed home from work with a terrible migraine. I had probably brought it on myself because I had been so stressed out from waiting for the phone to ring for the past month. I was almost in a state of depression because we had been waiting 10 months since Ethiopia received our dossier. However, we had really been waiting almost 4 years since we first began with China. I was truly at the end of my rope and knowing we were so close was making me crazy. I wondered if we really ever were going to get "the call". We had requested a baby girl at first, but then decided we needed to leave it in God's hands. We trusted that He had the right child in His plan for our family whether a girl or a boy. Usually, with Ethiopia, if you request either gender it is usually a boy who is referred. We already had a lot of "pink" but decided we could exchange things if needed. Anyway, I was at home laying on the couch, fighting a migraine and had taken a pain pill for it so I was kind of "loopy" and feeling sorry for myself. My hair was pulled up in a clip, no make up, and I was wearing my favorite pj's...not exactly the way I had planned in my head for our "referral video". :)
Anyway, when the phone rang I almost didn't answer it. I had contacted our agency a while back and asked them to call on my cell phone since I would probably be at work. So I wasn't expecting my home phone to ring. I decided to go ahead and pick it up and noticed it was a long distance number. I recognized the pre-fix as AWAA's and honestly when I picked it up, I thought I was going to be asked again if we were ok with a boy or a girl. I had pretty much given up on getting a referral that day...that week. When I heard Terra's voice I could tell she was excited when she said hello. I sat up quickly, forgot about my migraine and listened carefully as she told me that "today is the day" and would I like to get Eddie on the phone. I knew he was in class and couldn't get phonecalls very easily so I told her it was okay and that I'd get him home in time to see the referral pics. She told me they matched us with a baby girl...and I think I stopped breathing at that moment...and then I began sobbing so much I couldn't hear what else she was saying. I pulled myself together and grabbed a pen and paper to write down things she was telling me. All the time though in my head I was thinking "a girl, a girl, a girl"! Her name was Sitota and she was very tiny, but healthy. All the weight of the 4 years of waiting was lifted right off of my shoulders and this was really happening. She said to be expecting an email right away with Sitota's picture and some info. So I texted Eddie immediately and wrote" We have a baby...Come home now" and he was at the house within a minute I think!! He walked in the door and I was a sobbing mess. I told him we have a baby girl and we hugged and hugged and cried together. I will never forget that moment or the look on Eddie's face for as long as I live.
It doesn't seem like a year ago that all this took place. But at the same time it seems like our precious Sitota (who's name means gift) has been a part of our lives forever! We are blessed and could never imagine our lives without her! So for all of you who are waiting for your referral (especially you Karen) hang in there. God's timing is perfect and all the waiting, crying, and waiting some more will be worth it!

5 comments:

The Bullingtons said...

Happy Referral Anniversary!!!! Isn't it amazing how a day like this brings everything back to mind and heart again! We are celebrating with you and for you! Leslie Bullngton

Jason Garner said...

How fun that your other "comment" was from the Bullingtons!! All three of our families got our referrals on March 3rd!!!! We have had a sweet day celebrating, and we truly cannot believe it has been a year! I love knowing we all have the same anniv.!

Also, FYI we got to see the Bullingtons this w'end. They stopped over for dinner on their way through Nashville. It was so great and and so crazy- the Bullingtons in our house! From Ethiopia to our dining room, so fun- it was great to catch up! Maybe you'll all be here for the reunion in the fall!!!

Sissy Ski said...

Julie--I love the referral story!

I got the shirts and they are so great! Perfect sizes, exactly what I expected. Love, love, love 'em, and I'm so excited to wear mine! I think Jason will like his, too. It's a surprise for him. :)

Thanks again!
Lisa

Karen & Brad Hernke said...

You are amazing girl!!! This post melted my heart all the way and then I read my name and cried. You are sooooo sweet. I sooo have headaches and hicups ALL the time now and feel very nervous....so, to read this post makes me feel soooo much better. Wow, this IS all normal. I never get headaches before and the other day I even took a pain pill it was that bad!!!
I Thank you sooo much for all the support and love:) You are great!! Awesome post!!! Happy Referral Anniversary!!! You truely have a very pretty girl. God Bless.

Karen

Tara said...

I love this sweet story- You made me cry!!